This is a Phd & Research Program Merit Based Scholarship and students are eligible from International Student to apply for the same. Only 12 such awards are being offered and the deadline for application is 25-Sep-14.
This Scholarship will Offer you:-
- Indirect Costs: Indirect costs include the costs of administration, such as personnel, inance, library and some departmental services. Like estate costs, indirect costs will be calculated by the research organisation and a single figure will be entered on the application.
- Directly Allocated Costs: Estates costs include building and premises costs, basic services and utilities and appear under the Directly Allocated Costs heading. Estates costs are calculated by the research organisation nd a single figure will appear on the application.
- Publication Costs: STFC will no longer provide funding in research grants for any publication costs associated with 8 peer-reviewed journal articles and conference papers. Publication costs associated with research outputs other than journal articles and conference papers, such as books, monographs, critical editions, catalogues etc. may, however, continue to be included in grants as a Directly Incurred Other Cost. Any request for such costs will of course need to be fully justified in the case for support/ justification of resources.
- Relocation and Visas: Applicants moving to the UK from overseas to take up an award may request relocation and visa costs. These costs should be applied for under the Directly Incurred “Other Costs” heading on the proforma. STFC will award a maximum of £1.2k if moving from within Europe or £3k if moving from outside of Europe.
- Other Costs: Applicants may request minor equipment and consumables up to £5k under Directly Incurred other costs. At the end of the Fellowship any resources purchased will belong to the Institution.
- Travel: Personal travel is taken to include necessary collaborative visits and fieldwork, and attendance at one conference workshop or symposium during each year of the Fellowship, but excluding field work and visits which form part of the work of a research group with which you may be associated. If you are associated with an STFC research grant you must ensure that any travel connected with the research project for which the grant was given is claimed from that source. You should estimate in your application all personal travel and subsistence funds required during the lifetime of the Fellowship. Travel and subsistence costs are expected to be around £2.0k per annum.
- Salary: You are advised to discuss and agree your starting salary with your proposed host institution, before your application is submitted. The agreed salary should be in accordance with the institution’s standard recruitment and employment practices. The appointment level on the institution’s salary scale should be justified in the application. The salary costs requested should include employer’s national insurance and superannuation contributions. Salary increments over the period of the Fellowship should be taken into account, but not anticipated future pay awards. STFC will award funds on the basis of the agreed salary scales at the time of announcement, with provision for future years increase on the basis of standard RCUK indexation rates. Once announced the grant will not normally be increased to take account of different indexation rates for 5 Year.
|Name of Scholarships:||Ernest Rutherford Fellowships|
|Scholarship is offered by:||Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)|
|Duration of Reward / Grant:||5 Year|
|Education Field:||astronomy, solar and planetary science, particle physics, particle astrophysics, cosmology, nuclear physics|
|Education Level:||Phd & Research Program|
|Based on:||Merit Based|
|Scholarship is open for:||Institutions & Universities of United Kingdom, United Kingdom|
|Students are eligible from:||International Student|
|Number of Awards / Scholarships:||12|
|Important Dates:||Open Date: Not Available Last Date: 25-Sep-14|
|Important Information:||In considering your Fellowship application, the Fellowship Panel will use the following criteria:
To apply for the above scholarship / award / grant you should submit the following documents and should possess the following:
- Curriculum vitae of a maximum of two sides of A4 using our template
- List of publications by year and should not include presentations.
- Letter of support (personal reference) from your nominated reviewer who must not be from the host institution, of a maximum length of two sides of A4. This must be uploaded at the submitter stage and will be confidential i.e. not visible to the applicant. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that their nominated reviewer knows who to supply their reference to (at their host institution) in order that it can be uploaded and submitted with the proposal.
- Case for Support for Fellowship, of a maximum length of three sides of A4 including diagrams and illustrations. See below for further guidance.
- Up to two hundred words on Public Engagement (mandatory). This should outline any activities already undertaken, and give the plans you have for communicating information about your research to the wider public by means, for example of press releases, work with local media, participation in public events, links with MPs or elected members of devolved administrations, training in public communications or media awareness and work with teachers and schools.
- Up to two hundred words on Pathways to Impact, if appropriate. This should describe how the potential impacts of this research will be realised by users and beneficiaries of the research who are outside of your immediate academic research community, for example the public sector, commercial private sector, third sector (voluntary and community groups, social enterprises, charities, cooperatives and mutuals) or the wider public in general. Further information is available in the Research Grants Handbook.
- Data Management Plan, of a maximum length of two sides of A4, is a mandatory attachment. See below for further guidance.
If you are looking for more information about Ernest Rutherford Fellowships you are requested to visit the following page: http://www.stfc.ac.uk/files/1826/1826_res_2.pdf