Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Main function: Assisting the Africa team in their work
Starting date: 1 February 2014
Duration: 6 months, full time
Department: Sub-Saharan Africa
Remuneration: EUR 450 (according to the German labour and social security law)
Location: Berlin, Germany
• Assisting with the implementation of a number of projects in the department, including the Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres, the Africa Regional Programme etc.
• Assisting with the budget monitoring and financial reporting for on-going projects;
• Assisting with preparations for the participation of delegates from National Chapters to attend a series of programme-related workshops in Sub-Saharan Africa (e.g. flight and hotel bookings, visa support );
• Liaising with contact groups and National Chapters;
• Assisting with the production of TI publications, by providing translation and/or proof reading of documents;
• Monitoring international media for corruption related developments of interest to TI;
• Assisting with small research tasks
• Other various administrative tasks and support to the Africa department.
Knowledge, experience, interests and skills:
• Academic background in political science / international relations / international development (other relevant fields will be considered);
• Very good financial skills and financial reporting experience (required);
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications including proven experience of working with Excel at an advanced level (required);
• Excellent knowledge of English and French (written and spoken) (required);
• Some knowledge of, and considerable interest in, the work of TI and the field of anti-corruption;
• Knowledge of, or proven interest in, the Sub-Saharan Africa region;
• Adaptable and flexible personality, good time management skills, able to handle multiple tasks and workloads, ability to prioritise own work;
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and effective communication abilities, good team player;
• Some prior office experience very desirable.
How to apply
To apply for this internship please send a maximum one page cover letter and a maximum two page CV, preferably by email, to
firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly indicating in the subject line “Internship in the Africa Department”
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 18 December 2013.
Kindly note that a valid work permit for Germany is required and that interns must take out their own health insurance before starting the internship. Persons already registered as residents in Germany must submit a new Tax Identification Number. Students of the German universities must submit a confirmation of enrolment.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this internship. Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about Transparency International visit our website at www.transparency.org. For more information on internships please see the TI Internship Guidelines posted at: http://www.transparency.org/whoweare/work