DescriptionThe Medical University of Graz, the University of Graz and the Graz University of Technology and the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) offer international PhD programs in “Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disease”, “Molecular Fundmentals of Inflammation (DK-MOLIN), and “Molecular Medicine” that provide an in-depth, multidisciplinary training in biomedical research in a stimulating international environment. The thesis projects focus on aspects of metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, cancer, inflammatory diseases, as well as novel therapeutic targets, and integrate basic research and clinically-oriented sciences utilizing a wide spectrum of state-of-the-art techniques. You may have a look at the concepts of the programs, the faculties and then read the respective . Choose three of them and include an original statement in your application form why you are interested in the particular projects.
EligibilityTo be eligible to apply for the scholarship you need to be a holder of equivalent a masters’ degree in natural or life sciences (chemistry, biology, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology or related areas) or in medicine which included a written master thesis. Students must fulfill all eligibility requirements for entering PhD education in the country where they completed their master’s education (typically the home country). The working language is English and applicants are expected to be highly proficient in this language.
ScholarshipPhD students will be fully employed at the respective university including social benefits with a net salary (after deduction of taxes, health and pension insurance) of approximately EUR 19,700 per year for 3 years. Moreover, students will be encouraged to spend up to one year abroad joining other collaborating laboratories with the possibility of a 4th year extension of their contract.
Application processIn order to start the application process for the Ph.D. scholarship you need to register at the . After the registration, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with username and password to proceed with your application where you need to provide the general information about yourself, and also to upload the following:
- BSc. degree certificate;
- BSc. transcripts of marks (academic record);
- MSc. degree certificate;
- MSc. transcripts of marks (academic record);
- Certificate of English proficiency (if available; e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, GRE);
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (in the questionnaire, you will be prompted to submit the details (first name, last name, university, city, country, e-mail address) of the respective two persons. These persons will receive an e-mail prompting them to register on the online platform and answer a specific questionnaire.).
- The deadline for application is 21 September 2014;
- Based on the written application the faculty will select candidates for skype interviews which will take place between 6-17 October 2014;
- The best applicants will be invited to attend a 3 day hearing in Graz at the end of November- early December 2014 (travel costs will be reimbursed up to a certain limit);
- At the end the notification of acceptance will be one week after the meeting.